Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Beginning

It is always exciting to start something new, something you’ve never done before. No question about it. Strangely, we still feel the necessity to look into the mirror, stare at that frightened person who stands before us, and wonder whether we’ll succeed, whether we’ll fail, whether it’ll be fun, or whether we should just give it up already. Indeed, though we may have expectations, it is rather difficult to predict what will really happen and what we will get out of it, if anything. Don’t get me wrong; I think sometimes “getting something out of it” can simply mean that we are making a new friend, or having a joyful experience. Or hopefully both. But, after all, isn’t it the whole point of trying something new? To stray into the unknown?
I remember when I first moved to Santa Barbara, and how thrilled I was to finally get something I had longed for so much. Still I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to talk to people, I didn’t know anyone here, it was my first time living abroad, and the list of things I dreaded went on and on and on. It was almost endless! But what truly matters is that I made it. I can surely speak the language – although my accent is still easily noticed – made new friends, joined some clubs, got a job, and I even live close to the beach now (this is a story for another post). I am not saying it has been a smooth ride, but it has been worthwhile.
To some extent, I am facing a similar situation right now. I have always liked to read and write; however, I’ve never put my text out there or allowed many people to read them. So, obviously, this is my first time blogging, and I am both excited and a little hesitant, but let’s just hope that my excitement takes over. And, as the semester goes by, I’ll show you guys my daily life here in the breathtaking Santa Barbara!

No comments:

Post a Comment