Friday, November 7, 2014

A Not So Scary Evening

So it was Halloween last week! And it was simply amazing! As a foreigner, I get excited when these American holydays come around because they are different and so much fun. I get to do things I am not used to, which is always nice. And, unlike some friends of mine, I didn’t grow up going around my neighborhood in costume to ask for “treats or tricks.” Although, and I must be honest here, throwing toilet paper at someone’s house looks fun. Or maybe this is just the eight-years-old-me speaking up right now. Either way, I enjoy Halloween very much, especially when I walk downtown and see all these people in all sort of costumes – some were scary, others were very creative or funny, and others were straight out silly. But I like them all anyway.

During Halloween, Santa Barbara gets somewhat crazy and all of suddenly there are a few too many parties to attend. I know some people, if not most, go to Isla Vista and they do have a good time there; however, because most of my friends decided to stay downtown this year, I followed them. Since it rained, I guess I made a good decision.

Another important topic when it comes to Halloween is costumes. What costume should I wear? Should I wear a costume at all? Back home, I never had to answer these questions. So, here, every year I forget to buy one and end up having to figure out (or improvise) a character at the last minute. And I do mean at the last minute. Last year I had to be Danny from the movie Grease because all had I had was an old leather jacket and a comb – you know, John Travolta’s character. But this is year I was determined to be something more interesting, so I was Clark Kent. No, I wasn’t Superman; I was Clark Kent. But, hey, what counts is how creative you are! (At least that is my excuse.) My roommate, on the other hand, was Hercules, hence the picture below: 


Yeah, I definitely had a good time. I can hardly wait for next Halloween!






No comments:

Post a Comment