Tuesday, January 20, 2015

We are back, baby!


Mexican Flag
And it begins again. If you are anything like me, you too get pretty excited when a new semester begins even though you know you’ll be a bit too tired and too stressed out by the time it ends. Regardless, now it is time for us to enjoy that awesome feeling we get when we start something new. As always, I know I am going to have new challenges: I still need to crash a class, learn how to balance school and work, find a new place to live… But this is what I signed up for when I decided to move to Santa Barbara. Don’t worry, I promise to keep you guys updated as the semester goes by.

Mexico City
I hope everyone had a great break because I surely did. As you may know, I traveled to Mexico during my break. On December 15th I took a one way flight to Cancun, backpacked across the country for five weeks, and then took another flight from Mexico City toward LAX. I went alone, and because of that, I met several interesting people and came back with countless stories. I visited various ruins, museums, places, and admired so many breathtaking landscapes in this marvelous country that it would take another month just to report everything that happened. I ran into the Zapatistas, saw the place Trotsky was brutally assassinated, took a ride on the back of a pickup truck for a couple hour (actually this happened a few times) and obviously improved my Spanish skills. Also, I got to know a little more about Latin America, the continent I was born and raised in, and saw this part of the world in a different light. I am a Brazilian who lives in the United States and, thus, could relate what I witnessed in the past month to both countries. It was a trip of a lifetime.

La Luch Libre

Honestly, I believe everyone should travel alone every now and then. It is just great. It puts you out of your comfort zone, and makes you meet some wonderful people that you’d never talk to otherwise. Additionally, you learn a lot about yourself, your fears, and your strengths. I guess this is the kind of thing that you cannot understand unless you experience yourself.


Anyway, I wish everyone a good semester, and that we all have many stories to tell by the time it ends!

Tulum

Uxmal

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! What an adventure. You are really brave to do this trip solo.

    ReplyDelete