Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Walking Dead

Nope, I am not going to talk about the TV show. Instead, I am going to talk about the World Dance for Humanity. I mentioned this organization a while ago, and now I realize I never told you guys what happened. First, just to refresh your memory, World Dance for Humanity is a nonprofit organization that raises money for projects in Africa (and it is based right here in Santa Barbara!) and this year the SBCC Ambassadors, which I am a member of, decided to support them. So we learned the choreography for Thriller by Michael Jackson, dressed up as zombies, raised some money at campus, and danced (duh!) downtown and in front of the bookstore. Honestly, it was a little embarrassing  at the beginning, but it was also so much fun.


In downtown, we met at the Sunken Gardens where a few hundreds of people gathered together and either danced or watched. Even the mayor showed up. It was nice to see so many people coming together for a good cause. Indeed, this event was much bigger than I thought it would be which I believe is a good thing. Many people were in costumes when they arrived; however, some like myself didn’t, and we put our makeup once we got there. I needed help with mine, though. As a warmup, we danced Beat It by Michael Jackson, and only then we actually showed off our Thriller moves. Honestly, everyone knew what they were supposed to do, and it was such a remarkable experience.


At SBCC, however, things were a little different. Firstly, there were fewer people. Secondly, we practiced again a couple of time before the actual presentation, and I think we surprised many students and staff members. To me, it was interesting that some people decided to join us on the spot even though they had no makeup on, which made the whole thing more organic and interesting.


Also, we raised enough money to send two kids to high school for a year. Isn’t it amazing? Anyway, I just thought everyone deserved to know what happened.

By the way, just in case you want to check it out, this is their website: http://worlddanceforhumanity.org




















Just a bonus if you, like me, are a Stephen King fan:

                                                                   Yup, The Shinning!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment