Friday, March 20, 2015

Ambassadors


As I have mentioned before, I am a SBCC Ambassador, and I think it is time for me to better explain what the program is. Basically, we are an arm of the international office and try to connect the office, students (both from Santa Barbara and from out of town), and the local community. It indeed requires some time, but it is totally worth it.

We have several events throughout the semester and, because of it, we get in touch with some remarkable people. For example, in the past couple of weekends we volunteered at Casa Esperanza – a local homeless shelter – and since I was responsible for organizing everything, I visited the place beforehand, learned how the shelter works, and talked directly with the people who run it. In other words, I had an experience that went beyond the classroom.

That is not all, though. We also have tournaments and other events that involve students, as well as staff members. There are volleyball and soccer tournaments every semester, and they can get very competitive. Last spring we hosted a singing competition, and pretty soon we are going to have a ¨international week¨, which is a weeklong event with traditional food, culture, and films from all over the world, not to mention some professors will be giving lectures on related topics. I am excited about it already!

Again, this is a group composed by both local and international students even though the international office is who support us. As you may have noticed, I love being an ambassador, and strongly encourage everyone to apply and check out our Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment