Friday, March 13, 2015

Daylight Saving

It finally caught me. Last Saturday night we officially began daylight saving here in California, which means that I lost sixty precious minutes of sleep. Like every year, I thought I would adapt to this change fairly quickly; however, like every year, it actually took me a few days to successfully change my sleep schedule. Although we moved back our clocks last weekend, up until Thursday I was still going to bed late and waking up really tired. But once I got passed this little inconvenient, I could appreciate daylight saving and its perks.

Brazil also adopts something similar to daylight saving, so the time difference between Santa Barbara and my hometown can vary from six to four hours. Needless to say it is difficult to talk to my family when they are six hours ahead of me. Since daylight saving began, though, I am “only” four hours apart from them. For some people it may still sound like too much but, trust me, you get used to it. Besides, this difference in time zones is not that great and even American students have to deal with it.

Additionally, unlike Brazil, at some point it gets dark at 10pm here. And I love it. Personally, I feel like I am productive as long as I know the sun is shining outside. I realize this is probably more psychological than anything, but that is how I feel.

People work differently and certainly have varying opinions about daylight saving. Regardless, it is a thing we all have to deal with


 

No comments:

Post a Comment